Chris has been a school counselor for 6 weeks now! After much agonizing he made the decision to leave his job with a local non-profit to take a leave replacement as a school counselor in 2 elementary schools.
This has been such a great change for all of us. He is now working less hours and home in the evening more. He has more time for the college classes he teaches. And he just seems so much happier. The job is the perfect mix of working with kids, families, and really great school staff. He gets to work with kids individually and help teachers with behavior issues. Basically, it is the perfect job for him! Last week I realized that I hadn't seen him smile this much in several years. That must be a good sign!
I finally can feel a sense of peace that all of the sacrificing we did for the 3 years of his graduate program was worth it. All of that time with Chris working 2-3 jobs, plus juggling church worship leading and a band of his own. We just got used to him commuting to class on the weekends. I juggled work and little ones and kept it all going. There were some really hard times, and it seemed that it would never end. I guess if we survived all of that we are ready for whatever life throws us next!
As he has entered this new phase of his life and career, I've been thinking back over the years and remembering all the many things I love about him. When I accepted a job, during college, to work in a group home for adults with disabilities I had no idea what God had in store for me. I met Chris there, (as well as several other people that are still close friends to this day). I instantly liked Chris. He had a gentle, fun, patient spirit about him. He was very funny, and treated the people we served with great respect. It took over a year before the time was right for us to begin more than a friendship. But by that time, I was already able to trust him completely. There is so much more to this story, but I'll save it for another time... For now, Chris is a school counselor!!
I couldn't be happier for him! Now, if we can just find him a permanent position for next year...
1 comment:
Thanks Carrie for that encouraging blog. Being on the other end and wondering if this time will ever end and see you with a sense of peace offers me hope. I think of you often...although it may not seem like it. Love you guys.
Post a Comment