Thursday, October 16, 2008

Urgent Need - Samuel Phillipson

I know so many people are struggling in our current economy. The downward spiral seemed to happen so quickly this fall. I realize people have been predicting it for awhile, but it finally hit people's jobs and families recently. I know there are so many needs out there right now.

There is a family in Wisconsin that I feel an overwhelmingly urgent need to help. They are strangers to me, except that in this cyber-world of willing hearts, people really don't feel like strangers when you learn something about them.

The Phillipson family is connected to Ethiopia, too. Marty traveled with the same group I did, Hearts of Hope Adoption Ministry, to the same orphanages, just a year earlier than I did. Last month, he and his wife Carole added two beautiful Ethiopian boys to their family.

On October 4, their new son, 3 year-old Samuel, was in a tragic accident. He miraculously survived, but has extensive, permanent injuries. He lost part of a leg, his other foot, an extensively fractured arm that may need further intervention, a fractured pelvis, a colostomy, and had his back and bottom scraped down to his spinal cord in some places.


I'm sure I don't have to say any more about what the Phillipson family is going through, and what they will experience over the next few years, as they help him heal and adjust. For those of you inclined to pray, this family, and Samuel especially, need it. For those of you who are good at writing encouraging cards, they would appreciate experiencing the kindness of strangers. For those of you that can find some extra money to help them with medical bills, surgeries, transportation costs, and all of the needs that are still coming, your gift would make a difference in their lives right now.

I know we are all more conscious of our spending these days. But when I hear about something like this happening, I always think "Next time it could be us". Maybe that's morbid to some. But we have no guarantees in this life. At some point, my family may be devastated by tragedy, and in this world, during those dark times, the kindness and generosity of loved ones and strangers combined is more meaningful than anything else. So the Phillipson family is struggling now, and it sounds to me like it is our time to make a difference in their lives, in whatever way we can.

You can send cards or donate money (tax deductible) to:
Hearts of Hope Adoption Ministry
6790 Moon Light Circle
Sun Prairie, WI 53590
Memo: Samuel Phillipson
100% of gifts will go to the Phillipsons

Or donate money to a bank account at:
"The Samuel Phillipson Fund"
Premier Bank
P.O. Box 38
Sullivan, WI 53178















You can also read more about Samuel on his Caring Bridge website (there is an online guestbook you can sign, and a journal his parents regularly update), or the Hearts of Hope blog.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

Oh my gosh, this little boy lives in the same town as my dad!
Poor baby....
will see what we can do!