Last Thursday night we helped the kids write out their valentines for the kids in their classes. M.C. was exhausted about halfway through, but he kept going and finished them all. When he was done, I asked him if he'd like to make one for his brother. His eyes lit up and he had a great time sneakily writing one out and taping candy to it - while G.J. was at the other end of the room. I ran a diversion and he snuck it down the hall to hide in their room.
M.C. came back to me and asked me to leave 2 valentines out on the table overnight with 6 pieces of candy. I looked at him suspiciously, and he immediately said, "I'm not going to sneak the candy, I promise - it isn't for me!" I decided to trust him this one time, and told him I would leave the supplies out. At about 2:20am the next morning I heard little feet running down the hall to the dining room. I heard something fall off the table (candy? pen cap?), and a few minutes later, feet running back down the hall and into his room. I gave him a few minutes to hide them, and then went to turn off his light. He smiled at me guiltily, and I left him to his sneaky Valentine dreams.
The next morning he proudly presented a valentine to each of us, G.J., Chris and me, with candy taped carefully to them.
I can't remember the last time I felt so proud of that kid. And I will always wonder: how did he get himself up at 2:20?????
Then later that day, I got called to the office during class. I was definitely worried, and then when I caught a glimpse of Chris standing there, I was terrified. I thought someone had died, or something terrible had happened to one of the kids. But Chris smiled and pointed to an enormous and beautiful bouquet of roses sitting on the counter. I had forgotten what day it was! I got to show Chris around and introduce him to the students and staff I work with. It was the best Valentine's gift ever. I was so surprised and felt so treasured by the wonderful man I get to be married to.
He also surprised G.J. and M.C. with a rose in their classes. What an amazing dad. I love you Chris!
2 comments:
That is TOTALLY SWEET!!!!!!!!!
YEAH Chris!!!
I can't wait to read your post tomorrow! I'm praying!
Love
Maria
Wow-- I am choked up over your little MC-- what a heart! I am and have been praying big time for your date. Also, I am wanting to talk badly about your email:) Wow!!!!
love, k
Post a Comment