Here are Chris and I holding little J.T.'s hands on Wednesday.
It has been quite a week! I finally got to hold J.T. Thursday night, tubes and all. It took about that long to get used to seeing him like that. The first time is horrible, and after that it gets easier. It's funny when you can look back and realize that your "normal" now, was once your nightmare.
The next day, on Good Friday, everything changed in little J.T.'s life. Early in the day, the staff took off his breathing tubes for an hour. His oxygen levels went down, and everything went back on. I was there at 2:00 for the next trial run. They took out everything but his feeding tube, and I got to hold him again. - This time, though, was the first time I could actually look at him, hair and all. He did great and the feeding tube came out for a trial run at 5:00. I got to try nursing him, then gave him a bottle, the feeding tube went back in, but this time for the very last time. Since 8:00 that night he has been off of everything except monitors!! I'll post before and after pictures once we get them off the camera!
Thank you to everyone for the emails, calls, and visits. And especially the prayers. Our church had a healing service Friday night, and I know that J.T. was prayed for. I don't believe it is a coincidence that he had such a fast recovery on Good Friday.
Our pastor has talked about seasons in life that we enter into simply for love. That at those times we walk knowingly into difficult circumstances with the only goal to love someone else. To care for a dying loved one, would qualify. Childbirth always does too. I know so many people who have walked through that kind of season for a their child. Whether it is recovery from an accident, cancer, prematurity, adoption, so many people choose love at any cost for their child. It changes you in ways you could never imagine. Jesus entered into that kind of love on Good Friday, when He died for us all. Chris and I are now in that season for J.T.
We took over his care on Good Friday. That night we went over for all of his feedings, diaper changes, etc. all through the night. Our plan was that the doctor would be so shocked at his progress the next morning, that we could take him home with us. The doctor wasn't quite ready. Although, J.T.'s needs were not as serious as many babies in the NICU, it is still not normal to come around so quickly. The doctor wanted to see another stable night. So the hospital found another room for us so we could continue J.T.'s care.
Chris and I decided he would go home with the boys so they could have an Easter morning at home. So I am doing a second night here. But this time I am farther away. To get to him, I have to go down the hall, down an elevator, down another hall, up another elevator, then down another hall to the NICU. And all of this, 4 days post surgery!
But I believe that this kid is worth it. I have lots of time for my recovery. This is his only chance at his first week of life. So, although I am exhausted, and every muscle aches, and I could go on... I love watching little J.T. open his eyes and seem surprised to see the lady and man who keep coming back when he cries. He seems to be saying "wow, they sure seem to like me". That makes all of this worth it. Cuz I love this little guy.
4 comments:
I'm so thankful this Easter Sunday to read your update! Praise the Lord for your little guys improvement. I miss you and am praying for you and your family.
I'm so glad to hear that he is doing well. Thank you for keeping us updated. Now I'm thinking thoughts of "home" for all of you!
We are so glad to hear he is doing better -- we already love him too, and are looking forward so much to meeting him and seeing you all. I'm praying for a continued quick recovery for you both -- and many joyful quiet mommy-baby moments to come!
TEARS ...
What a BLESSING to read your post!!!
THANK YOU JESUS for the miracles you ARE doing!!!
Lots of LOVE
Maria
Post a Comment