I have jumped wholeheartedly into the realm of sports mom. My 6 year-old son G.J. has his last basketball game tomorrow morning, and I realize tonight that I am actually really sad about it! Chris and I traded off for many of the games since keeping track of the younger four in an elementary gym took too much energy most Saturdays. So I didn't get to see all of his games, and now I wish I could have.
But I love watching this kid play. Their team was creamed most games, but you would have never known it by how he and his teammates played. The first time I saw G.J. play, I was glued to the game, and I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I think it was one of the first times that I've watched my kid from a distance and realized how incredibly proud and honored I am that he is my son. He plays with heart, intensity, and doesn't worry that anyone is watching. He passes to kids on his team who usually don't get to actually touch the ball, just to make sure they get a turn. He is serious about guarding, and creative about getting around the other team. He made lots of parents laugh a couple of weeks ago when he made a perfect pass to his teammate under the legs of the guy who was super-aggressively guarding him. He runs at breakneck speed up and down the court even when it isn't necessary, but also breaks out into a silly dance when he is taking a break. He is funny, respectful, intense, and full of joy out on the court.
As I watch him I realize that I can't imagine having a nicer kid. He has navigated our complicated family with compassion, calm leadership, and thoughtfulness. He has been an only child, the youngest, the oldest, and the middle child, and seems to find his place no matter which "space" he holds. We got a call last week from some workers who said we would be "perfect" for an 11 year-old girl who lives in our town, wants to stay, and needed to be moved that day. Despite the fact that Mom and Dad are sure that "5 kids is enough" all the (four older) kids wanted to take her. But it was G.J. who was actively trying to solve the roadblocks (like not enough beds, or that we would need a bigger van, etc.). This is a kid who is willing to give up his spot as oldest of this crew on a moment's notice to help out a stranger.
I love this kid. He's finally found his sport, and so have I!
No comments:
Post a Comment