I am back after a week of amazing experiences in Ethiopia.
The trip back was an experience. I tried to get on an earlier flight to Seattle from D.C. with no luck. United was actually bumping people off. Of course I didn't know for sure until the plane actually left - after waiting for hours hoping to see my family sooner than planned. Then my flight last night was postponed because of problems with the plane. NOT something I want to hear before I get on it!! So they got us a new plane, which meant they had to re-issue seat assignments. So the whole plane load of people moved down to another gate to live through hours of waiting and quite a bit of chaos. Then our new plane needed service work. Again - NOT what I wanted to hear after a 15 hour flight from Ethiopia, and spending all day in D.C. trying to get a flight home! We finally boarded at 8:00pm and landed in Seattle at 10:15. It was so good to see Chris and the boys at the end of such a long journey home!
I will write more about my trip as soon as I can, but I'm supposed to be resting since I barely slept last night. :)
For now - I spent lots of time at Layla House, painted a grass-walled orphanage in Mukatore, and helped paint murals in AHOPE's community outreach program/school for HIV+ kids. I met a woman named Hannah that has been transforming the plight of Ethiopia's street kids for about 12 years, and visited an orphanage/elder care/mentally ill center somewhere past Oromo that was almost too much to bear. I got really sick along with some of my friends at the same time we lost running water in our guest house!
I am still trying to process all that I experienced, but one thing I know for sure is that I can't wait to go back. Ethiopia and her people have become part of me, and it is a little hard to be back. Chris had a great time with G.J. and M.C. He surprised me with fixing up our bedroom which had become a casualty to housing so any kids in such a small space upstairs. All of the extra "stuff" had made its way to our room. It looks amazing and was the best gift possible after a long journey.
More to come...
1 comment:
Hey, I am so glad you have a blog....I am so glad to have met you! I made it home and back to the airport again to meet my family for spring break in Thailand. It is amazingly beautiful here and such a contrast to what we experienced in Ethiopia. I am trying to hold on to every single thing we experienced in Ethiopia. Trying to process it all. It's hard to put it into words. Looking forward to watching the Lord work in our families......Lynn
Post a Comment