Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Kids

**UPDATE**
Thank you so much for all of the comments and emails and links! I am humbled at the response to this post. After 2 days, I'd like to write an update. It is my understanding that most of the kids I wrote about specifically here either are matched with families but just don't know it yet, or have families in the process who hope to be matched. My intention in writing this was to try to capture my experience, and to possibly encourage a few people considering adoption to take the leap! Each of these very real kids represent many of their friends who ARE still waiting to be chosen. There are many single kids 8 and older, and many groups of 2-4 siblings that wait. Some are already at Layla House. Adoption Advocates International also has many waiting in other orphanages in Addis until a spot opens up at Layla. For each child that goes home with their family, another can come to this amazing place to await their turn.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People ask about my trip every day. I still stand there silently trying to come up with something that doesn't sound dumb. Yet, I can't seem to say anything profound either. There is too much. To open it all up would take hours, and most people just want a minute synopsis.

The faces of the kids I got to know keep flashing through my mind. Sometimes I see them in my mind and I feel grateful to see them again - like a welcome breeze on a blistering day. Other times, my eyes unintentionally tear up, and my heart physically hurts.

So I'm thinking it's time to write about these amazing Ethiopian children. So strong, yet tender and vulnerable. In many ways they are kids like you would find anywhere else. In other ways, they are survivors beyond what we can imagine. They have lost their families. I imagine some nursing dying parents until the end, while others are shuffled off to relatives without getting to say good-bye. Some are here at Layla with siblings. Some have siblings in other orphanages or with relatives, and some don't know where the little ones are. Some have siblings with HIV and they worry about them getting sick and dying. They have a quiet strength, and a faith with depth that most of us will never know.

Layla House is more a transition center than orphanage. The intention is that all children will go to an adoptive family, so Layla is structured to prepare them for life in a family in America. They go to school everyday, learn English, and try American food for dinner.


The children who have been chosen by an adoptive family carry their photo album around with pride and hope in their eyes. They finger the pictures of their new families, schools, houses, and pets longingly. I saw them kiss the faces of their new family periodically throughout the day. They walk around the compound with a lighter step and talk to everyone they can about their new state. They show newcomers their state and town on the big map in the cafeteria, and their eyes light up if you know someone from their new land. Many kids are going to Washington, so we immediately had so much in common. I told them about the beauty, the mountains, ocean, lakes, and forests of the state they will soon know. (I also tried to explain how we barbecue, but I think I was officially deemed nuts on that one.)

The children who are waiting have a wistful longing in their eyes that is much different. When others are talking about going home "soon" (I realized that "soon" is what everyone says once they have a family - although it may be many more months.), the kids who are waiting break eye contact and look down, wondering when it will be their turn to announce their state, the names of their siblings and their dog.

Some of the older ones are tearing at my heart every day. There is a beautiful, quiet girl about 12, who leads prayer at lunch. She has one of the kindest faces I have seen, and she looks after the younger kids and her brother. She still waits. The older boys make life interesting and fun for the other kids. They wait with less anticipation than the younger kids. They understand better the chances of an American choosing an older boy. They have celebrated at the going away parties of MANY younger kids. Yet they still pray for their turn.

There is a sibling group of four that affected many of us. The oldest, a 14 year-old, is famous at Layla for her exquisite braiding. She tells people how she will keep the younger ones in line and cook for her new family. I sat with one of the younger brothers for lunch on our first day and was so curious to know more about this sweet, kind boy. Every day after that he would smile at me from across the room, and I would wish I had more than a week here to get to know all of these kids. The second oldest girl of this group, showed me her photo album. It was filled with pictures of her friends from the last (almost) 2 years. She had a picture of her beautiful grandmother too. The pictures that are missing are the ones of her new family. She can point to each friend and tell you what state they went to. She has a large group picture, and after naming each of the states the kids had gone to, she quietly told me that only she and her sister are still at Layla. I asked her if she liked it here, if she was happy. She said "Oh yes. Here I have everything. I have shoes, pants, and food. I did not have those things before." But she didn't say what I already knew. That her heart's desire, now that she has clothing and food, is to grow up in a family with her siblings.

One 7 year-old boy reminded me so much of my 7 year-old G.J. They could be twins separated by continents! He has the honest, soft face of an Ethiopian boy. So many American kids are hardened even by this young age, by events out of their control mixed with the entitlement of growing up in American culture. But Ethiopian kids are different. He is funny and friendly, and has the sweet hopefulness of youth. Some of us took his class horseback riding and it was as much of a thrill to me to cheer them on and take pictures as they rode for the first time. I wish his Ethiopian parents, and his future American parents could have been there in my place. He avoided my eyes as the other kids talked about their new families, and so I knew, without asking, that he waits. Longing to share all of these firsts with people that think the sun rises and sets in his eyes.

Another boy, a 6 year-old, also captured my heart. He has a curious, bright, mischievous face. Very similar to my M.C. He has spirit and spunk, and is trying to find his place at Layla with so many older kids. I watched him yell in outrage as an older kid took the soccer ball he had carried to the field to impress me with his kick. It was exactly how my son would have responded. In a world that is horribly unfair, some rules apply in all cultures. I spent some time with this kid, and fell in love with his intensity to grapple with life. On the last day, we said our good-byes and as I was leaving, I heard a whisper in my heart: "Turn around". I did, and there he stood at the other end of the cafeteria staring at me, willing me to turn around with his longing to be noticed. I smiled through tears and walked quickly toward him with my arms held out and called his name. He ran into my embrace and I held him for his birth mother and his adoptive mother. I whispered that I would pray for his family. It doesn't feel like enough for his little heart, but I trust that God has a family picked out for him. I pray that his heart stays strong and hopeful until they come.

One day I saw a group of boys huddled in a circle. Being used to boys in my life and work, I immediately wandered
over, my mind filling with the mischief I expected to see within their circle. I was humbled beyond words when I peeked into their tight circle and saw them celebrating with one of their friends as he held his new family photo album. They were looking through each of the pictures with him, exclaiming in excitement as he turned each page.

So many kids whose faces call to me. I imagine them whispering to me: "Find my family." "When will they come for me?" "When will I feel my mom stroke my face at night?" "When will I feel my dad's strong arms when I am afraid?" Kids of all ages wait. They are so much like my own kids, yet they are still Ethiopian. Kind, gentle, physically affectionate, and funny! They lost everything before they came to Layla. At Layla they are given the possibility of a second chance at life and love. They worry about pleasing their new parents, and about being able to keep their faith. They pray for the family they don't yet know. Are they praying for you? Once you look into their eyes, you can never forget their longing for parents.

If you have ever considered adoption, I promise you, there is a child who waits and prays to be found.

16 comments:

Laci said...

Carrie,
Thank you so much for this glimse of Layla. We also live in WA and are adopting two children from Layla. Leul and Hana. I'm so happy they will be home soon, but it breaks my heart to think of the friends they will be leaving behind. It will not be an easy trip. Thank you for loving on the kids there while they wait to be loved on by their new families.
Laci

Carrie said...

Laci,
I think I met Hana, and if the girl I am thinking of is your Hana, she is a beautiful, loving, funny girl! I have a couple of pictures of her - one is a really good one. Email me at caco523@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you! Blessings on your wait!
Carrie

Hearts of Hope said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing the beauty of these fabulous children!

Anonymous said...

You need to post a tissue alert!
I am sobbing! Especially about Tsion, Ruth and the boys.
We are covering all the Layla kids in prayer.
Very beautifully expressed & written.

Anonymous said...

Carrie, This was so beautifully expressed! You captured the spirit of the children of Layla. Do you have a copy of the waiting child dvd? I just rewatched it and it took me back. It was so amazing how much some of the kids had changed in a short time. There were kids that had come to Layla from Mukatore in October that couldn't speak any Amharic or English and they were communicating in both while we were there. They are amazing children with endless potential. Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,
I loved this post.
We are adopting boys from Layla/wanna house their names are Challa 21 mo and Mulugeta 5 mo they are from the Mukatore area, I actually saw some pictures that you or someone posted with you holding Challa he was wearing a blue striped shirt and a yellow hooded jacket in another photo.
Thanks so much for those photos its so good to see them being loved on in a photo!
We are in Wa state as well.
Sonora

Paula said...

Carrie,
I've so enjoyed reading your blog. This post was brought to my attention through AAI's yahoo group but I've gone back to Jan. to read your entries & I'm very impressed with your heart for the Lord and willingness to follow His leading. I sent you an e-mail and look forward to hearing back from you. I'm wondering if the child you wrote about as Birut may actually be Biruk, the child dh & I are adopting. Either way, your post truly touched my heart. :0)

Sherri said...

So glad to read this, as it put into print the burdens in my heart. I could add stories of at least 4 or 5 more... but my emotions won't let me at this point.
The only inaccuracy I found: "There is a vow that all children will find a family within 2 years, and so far, no child has waited longer."
Our girls waited for almost 3 years, and their friends -also a group of three beautiful sisters - have waited even longer and still wait. The 'vow' to have children in families within 2 years only works if the families God is calling actually step forward in obedience.

Carrie said...

Thanks for clarifying Sherri. I heard that statement from several people at Layla and wondered about it myself. I've taken it out since I don't want to be speaking for AAI staff. I think the difference could be that many children wait in other orphanages before coming to Layla - so their wait is much longer. Either way, you're right, everyone who cares for these kids can have the best intentions, but it takes families to come forward to actually make the difference. I'm glad your girls found you!
--Carrie

Mama of 5 said...

Simply beautiful! I am crying my eyes out this morning. I too have been to Layla. I would love to publish your post in our church newsletter, with your permission. Can you email me at camandbeck@hotmail.com. We have 4 families in our parish adopting from Layla right now.
Becky

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
I loved your post...can't wait to have my husband read it when he comes home! We adopted a baby from ethiopia through aai a few years ago. We are thinking/praying about adopting again...but this time a 6-7 year old boy. We have 5 kids, and lost another child at birth last year. There is so mcuh to think about and worry about with an adoption, but your post gives me courage to do it again. Please pray for us in making this decision. anne marie

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

What a visceral description of AAI's wonderful Layla House. We adopted siblings (8mos and 8 years) in 2006 and are adopting again (hopefully this summer?!). I'm going to link your post from my blog for the many families who wait and wonder about their children and for the children who do the same.

God Bless,
Jane

Carrie said...

Anne Marie,

I'm sure anyone who reads your comment will be praying for you! I'm really sorry about your loss last year. I wish you the best as you explore the idea of a possible new little guy in your family. I was hoping this post would encourage someone - sounds like it is you! Thanks for letting me share your excitement...

--Carrie

darci said...

wow. thank you so much for this post. i just found you thru another blog, but i look forward to reading more. we are just having our very first homestudy for our 'first' :) adoption. thanks. darci

Anonymous said...

we will keep you updated carrie...thanks for the prayers...
anne marie and larry (who loved your entry as well)
anne marie

Melanie said...

Carrie,
Thank you! Thank you for going to Ethiopia and loving Gods children. I am so impressed on how you have captured emotions in your writting. I too have struggled with the question on the return of mission trips... "So what was it like?"
You've done a great job of answering that question. I cried when i read this,then had my friends and family read it so they could cry too.
We are adopting from Laya, And I so appreciate you loving my kids for me untill i can get there.
It is clear to me that God is still using you and your gifts even after you have left Ethiopia.
~Melanie